The Issue – Obesity and Unhealthy Lifestyle Habits
Today, about one in three American children are overweight or obese. The prevalence of obesity in children more than tripled from 1971 to 2015. With good reason, childhood obesity is now the top 1 health concern among parents in the United States, topping drug abuse and even smoking.
Among children today, obesity is causing a broad range of health problems that previously weren’t seen until adulthood. These include high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and elevated blood cholesterol levels. There are also psychological effects: Obese children are more prone to low self-esteem, negative body image and depression. It is time we work together to change this trend!
The Solution – Education, Engagement, and Involvement
Meaningful community and family engagement in children’s early learning, physical education, and implementation of healthy lifestyle habits are the answer! In order for us to ensure our children develop into happy, healthy, well-adjusted adolescents (and eventually adults), we must unite in the effort. FUNovision is a unique service designed to unite physical education program providers, schools, and parents in order to teach children about healthy lifestyle practices. FUNovision features:
- Weekly movement programs taught, by local Program Providers, onsite at area schools
- Parent access to weekly class video recordings
- Parent access to weekly at home exercises
- Parent access to weekly healthy and creative at home recipes
- Information on local events and activities
- Promotions from local, like-minded organizations